The perfect introductory event
In keeping with what has now become tradition, we are relocating the 2024 Summer Trial to a new area.
This year we head to the outskirts of the Roman City of Chester. This will give us great access to some of the best roads and venues that are available in Cheshire, Shropshire and the Welsh Border areas.
The area will allow us to design an entertaining event that should enable crews to enjoy uncluttered roads and scenic byways.
By limiting the amount of time spent away from home, the Summer Trial allows crews to enjoy a multi-day event while minimising the impact on work and other real-life commitments.
Again in 2024 our timetable will enable most crews to travel to the start on the Friday morning and depart for home early on Sunday afternoon. Navigation is straightforward and many chose the event to introduce other family members or colleagues to the sport; others like to take part in order to shake down their cars in preparation for our longer duration events but an enjoyable time is planned for everyone.
Scrutineering & Documentation | 19 July 2024
Scrutineering and Documentation will start from 10:00 am and finish at 13:00.
Day One | 19 July 2024
The first afternoon will see us heading south taking in some of the border areas of Cheshire, Flintshire and Shropshire with a few simple regularities and tests to whet your appetite for what to come over the rest of the weekend.
Day Two | 20 July 2024
The days competition will see us heading into the rallying heartland of Mid Wales, with some epic scenery and roads to challenge crews with the difficulty of the navigation slowly increasing throughout the day, we hope to have some flowing tests and visit a beautiful lunch location in Mid Wales before heading back to Chester for the evening dinner where the tales of the days endeavors can be exchanged with your fellow competitors over dinner.
Day Three | 21 July 2024
The final morning of the event will see us venture into parts of Cheshire and Flintshire not previously used and as with the Summer Trial format the navigation instructions continue to increase in their challenging nature but still in the tulip route book format, before we crown our winner over Lunch back in Chester before you head home by 3pm latest, hopefully with a warm glow following a fun weekend of Historic rallying under your belt
- Only cars built pre-1991 or a model available pre-1991 are eligible to enter
- The cars will be split into classes based on age and CC
- The scoring on the Test sections is class-based so you will be scoring against other similar aged vehicles
- Vehicle eligibility is defined in the HERO Standard Regulations
What Is Included In The Entry Fee?
- Event participation for one eligible car with a crew of two - Driver & Navigator
- Detailed Routebook
- Choice of official Summer Trial merchandise or HERO-ERA store voucher
Extensive Hospitality package:
- Two nights’ accommodation, including breakfast, Friday 21st July and Saturday 22nd July (crew of two sharing a double or twin room).
- Single room supplements, subject to availability and on a first come first served basis
- Lunch for each crew member, on Saturday 22nd July.
- Evening meal on Friday 21st & Saturday 22nd July.
- Morning tea/coffee on Saturday 22nd & Sunday 23rd July
- Afternoon tea/coffee on Saturday 22nd July
- Awards buffet lunch time on Sunday 23rd July
- Two souvenir rally plates to fix to front & rear of car
- Two side number panels
- Finishers’ awards for each crew member
- Overall awards for 1st, 2nd and 3rd
- Class Awards to third in class – if there are three or more crews per class
- Special awards at organisers discretion
- HERO-ERA mechanical assist/sweep teams on event, to help keep crews moving
- An experienced team of HERO-ERA officials & marshals to keep the event moving and on track
- Results team and Media team keeping your family and friends, following the event, up to date
- Post event, detailed results book
Need a car?
The Arrive & Drive scheme allows you to compete should your car be unavailable or, if you are looking to purchase a similar model in the future it gives you the chance to get to know your prospective purchase. We have a wide and varied range of vehicles to suit everyone's taste.
|Alan Graham (GB)||Lola Field-Leather (GB)||1966||Porsche 912||1720|
|Chris Lacey (GB)||Geoff Lloyd (GB)||1967||MG B GT||1900|
|Dave Elson (GB)||Richard Warner (GB)||1971||MG BGT||1800|
|David Westaway (GB)||Ben Westaway (GB)||1955||Austin - Healey 100M||2660|
|Dr Adam Davis (MY)||Graeme Presswell (GB)||1958||MG A||1622|
|Duncan Hopkinson (GB)||Kay Hopkinson (GB)||1968||MG C-GT||2912|
|Ed Linton (GB)||John Youd (GB)||1967||Hillman Imp||998|
|Edward Vandyk (GB)||Henry Vandyk (GB)||1973||Renault Alpine A110||1396|
|James Holt (GB)||1989||BMW 325i||2495|
|James Thomas (GB)||1977||BL Mini 1275 GT||1293|
|John Croft (GB)||Aileen Croft (GB)||1968||Gilbern GT||1800|
|Kate Dunn (GB)||Malcolm Dunn (GB)||1969||MG B||1994|
|Lindsay Dawson (GB)||Nick Dawson (GB)||1975||Datsun 260Z||2600|
|Michael Moss (GB)||James Ewing (GB)|
|Nick Brayshaw (GB)||Dominic Gill (GB)||1970||Alfa Romeo 1750GTV||1779|
|Paul J Mills (GB)||Nick Cooper (GB)||1965||Austin Mini Cooper S||1293|
|Paul Sanders (GB)||Jane Alcock (GB)||1971||MG Midget||1275|
|Peter Nedin (GB)||Clare Nedin (GB)||1968||Sunbeam Stiletto||998|
|Stephen Hardwick (GB)|
|Steve Bailey (GB)||Lucy McFarlane (GB)||1966||Ford Mk1 Cortina||1499|
|Steven Winter (GB)||Fred Winter (GB)||1966||Hillman Imp||930|
|Stuart Macleod (GB)||David Bartholomew (GB)||1973||Porsche 911 E||2400|
|Timothy Robinson (GB)||Victoria Robinson (GB)||1929||Bentley 4 1/2 Litre||4500|